Session 9: Sexual Violence against Men and Boys
- Understand the barriers faced by male survivors of sexual violence
- Describe how male survivors may react to a sexual assault.
- Gain knowledge and skills to provide first line support and medical care to male survivors of sexual violence or rape
- Explain what physical response men can experience during an assault and how this may make them feel.
The videos include a fictional story of rape or intimate partner violence that may be distressing, difficult or even re-traumatizing for some viewers to watch and listen to. This video is for educational purposes to show participants how to conduct a history and interview about an incident of rape or intimate partner violence.
The videos include sensitive images for educational purposes to show participants how to correctly perform an examination and to document common injuries
9.1 Welcoming male survivors
9.2 History taking with male survivors
9.3 General examination of male survivors
9.4 Genital examination of male survivors
9.5 Medical care and treatment for male survivors
9.6 Validate, enhance safety and connect with support for male survivors
- Male survivors of sexual violence face similar and unique consequences to other survivors of sexual violence
- Male survivors should receive support and empathetic care, including:
- Listening, inquiring about needs, validating
- Medical care – prevention of HIV, STIs, tetanus, hepatitis B and treatment of wounds and injuries
- Enhancing safety and connecting with support
Required supplies & materials
- UNHCR (2012) Working with men and boy survivors of sexual and gender-based violence in forced displacement
- Sexual Violence Research Institute Briefing paper: Care and Support of Male Survivors of Conflict-Related Sexual Violence
- GBV IMS Steering Committee (2017) Interagency Gender based Violence Case Management Guidelines Providing care and case management services to Gender-based violence survivors in humanitarian settings;
- UNHCR (2016) SGBV Prevention and Response Training Package, Module 7 Working with Men and Boy Survivors of SGBV